Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The stinky cheese

I decided to make Brie en croute for a holiday party tonight. I Love Brie especially during the holidays and thought it would look festive baked in pastry. But did you know Brie is a really stinky cheese? I came down stairs at 5:45 am this morning on my way to the sweat shop {some peopel call it a gym} to a terrible smell in the kitchen. I thought something had died, as I sniffed around I found the culprit! It may have ruined my relationship with Brie forever!


Here is the recipe: I added dried cherries for some christmas color.


Ingredients
1 sheet frozen puff
pastry, pre-packaged
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup walnuts
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (8-ounce) wheel Brie
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
Crackers, for serving
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Defrost puff pastry for approximately 15 to 20 minutes and unfold.
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the walnuts in the butter until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon and stir until walnuts are coated well. Place the walnut mixture on top of the Brie and sprinkle the brown sugar over the mixture. Lay the puff pastry out on a flat surface. Place the brie in the center of the pastry. Gather up the edges of the brie, pressing around the brie and gather at the top. Gently squeeze together the excess dough and tie together with a piece of kitchen twine. Brush the beaten egg over top and side of Brie. Place Brie on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
Serve with crackers.
To give a special look, cut extra pastry into heart or flower shapes and bake until golden.

{recipe from paula dean}

Ps: I googled stinky cheese, yes I really did, and Brie is rated amoung the top. At least now I know its normal, and tastes nothing like it smells!

No comments: